Monday, November 19, 2012

Spotlight on... Joyce Counterman

This is the next installment in a series of blog posts to help you get acquainted with some of the people who work in the library.  Today we introduce you to someone you might not have seen before.





What is your name?  Joyce Counterman       
  
What is your title? Library Technician in the Acquisitions department

What kinds of things are you responsible for in the library?  I am the supervisor of the Acquisitions department and oversee one full-time employee, as well as 3 student workers.  I am responsible for ordering, renewing, and processing of the journals/databases, as well as supplies.  This includes making sure that the online journals are registered and activated for use by all patrons.  Another area of my job is to process the invoices for the various items that we order for the library, whether it is books, eBooks, databases, DVDs, or journals.  I also oversee the sorting and delivery of the mail to all the library departments.  

How did you come to work in the library?  I started working in the Acquisitions department in 1999 as a student employee while I was attending BU full-time.  In 2001, a Library Assistant position became available in the Acquisitions department and I was fortunate enough to be hired.

What do you enjoy most about your job?  I really enjoy working with our student employees.  I also enjoy problem solving, which includes mysteries to why we don’t have access to a specific online journal or database and fixing the problem.  

What else do you want people to know about you? I graduated from BU with a BS in OIS in 2004.  I enjoy fishing, photography, reading, and crafts.  I am also a diehard Steelers fan.

How can people get in touch with you?  Email: jcounter@bloomu.edu  Phone:  389-4727.  Room: AL 223.

No comments: