Monday, April 21, 2014

Spotlight on... Wayne Mohr

This is the last installment in a series of blog posts to help you get acquainted with some of the people who work in the library.  Today we introduce you to the Associate Vice-President of Technology and Library Services. 


What is your name?  Wayne Mohr

What is a typical day like for you?

My job wouldn’t be as challenging or enjoyable if I had anything resembling a typical day. Yesterday I spent the entire morning meeting with college deans, administrative directors and the Provost discussing non-technical academic issues or challenges that will affect the entire campus.  Then I spent most of the afternoon with engineers, architects and our construction managers reviewing engineering blue prints and drawings for the addition that will be built on the back of the library.  I spend an unusual amount of time each week on conference calls to coordinate purchases of goods or services for all 14 PASSHE institutions, or to collaborate with fellow PASSHE CIOs across the state on shared technology projects, or to score technical and cost proposals from technology vendors. I also spend quite a bit of time participating in webinars or face to face meetings with vendors to evaluate new products or services that could improve our technology related systems or services.  I set aside time each day to read white papers, survey results, studies, trade publications or books just to keep up with the relentlessly evolving technology landscape.  And, of course, there are always invoices to review and approve, budgets to manage, proposals to evaluate, reports to write and decisions to make.  There are few dull moments, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. 
   
What else should people know about you? 

My inspiration in life comes almost entirely from my wife of 40 years, Kathleen, my son Jake and my two daughters, Jocelyn and Jordan. If I’m not at work, you’ll find me on the ski slopes, the golf course or the gym.  I lived in Virginia, Connecticut, New York, Indiana, Louisiana, Missouri, Texas and New Hampshire before arriving here in Pennsylvania.  I’ve been a bus driver, bartender, construction laborer, soldier, electrician’s apprentice, journalist, photographer, professor, television producer/director and chief information officer.  I seldom chose the road most traveled, and it’s made all the difference. 

How can people get in contact with you?   wmohr@bloomu.edu 

No comments: