Monday, February 6, 2012

Spotlight on... Andrea Schwartz

This is the second in a series of blog posts to help you get acquainted with some of the people who work in the library.  Today we introduce you to someone you may already have worked with... without realize it.



What is your name?  Andrea Schwartz

What is your title?   Library Technician, Interlibrary Loan/Access Services

What kinds of things are you responsible for in the library?  I run the Interlibrary Loan unit (ILL) within the library.  That means, if our students/faculty need something we don’t have, I get it for them.  If there’s something in the Library you need (like a book chapter or article from microfilm), we will scan and supply that for you as well.  We also share out materials with libraries across the United States (and sometimes even farther afield).  Our office has two student workers and they do a lot of scanning and packing/unpacking of mail. 

You will also see me helping out at the Circulation Desk, especially on Saturdays. 

How did you come to work in the library?  I’m a library nerd--I’ve been volunteering and working in libraries since elementary school.  After receiving my Bachelor’s degree, I obtained my MS in Library & Information Science at the University of Illinois, where I met my husband.  When he ended up taking a job at Bloomsburg University, I eventually joined the library staff.  I worked for 8 years in the Cataloging Dept., and I’ve been in Interlibrary Loan for 4 ½ years.

What do you enjoy most about your job?  Several things:  helping people get the stuff they really need; hunting down something really hard to find; connecting with all the wonderful ILL librarians across the country; talking with my student workers.  Oh, and I LOVE the Library’s new microfilm/fiche scanner. 

What else do you want people to know about you?
1. I love to cook and bake
2. I love Zumba (see #1 above)
3. I love to read
4. I’m learning to play the piano

How can people get in contact with you?  Phone: 389-4218; email: aschwart@bloomu.edu or ill@bloomu.edu

No comments: