Monday, April 16, 2012

Spotlight on... Tim Ashton

This is the next installment in a series of blog posts to help you get acquainted with some of the people who work in the library.  Today we introduce you to one of our student workers.


What is your name?  Tim Ashton

What is your major?  Criminal Justice

What do you do in the library?  I’m responsible for assisting the Cataloging Librarian and Cataloging staff with various projects that come across their desks.  These tasks can range from ripping up old bound periodical issues to computer work with new books that the library orders. I also do a lot of computer and physical work for bindery books.  These are books that come in from the library circulation desk that are paper back and being used frequently.  To preserve the books we do computer work and send them off to get hard covers.  When they come back I stamp all the books with library stamps and pockets.  Then I make sure that the barcode links up to the record we have of the book in PILOT and send them down to the circulation desk to be re-shelved.

What do you enjoy most about your job?  There are a couple things I enjoy about this job.  One is that it is very flexible.  With class schedules and schoolwork sometimes you might have to meet professors or groups during a time when you’re scheduled to work.  Another thing that I enjoy is that it keeps me busy; we are always working on a project or helping the cataloging unit out so it makes the day go by faster and keeps me and my schedule in line.

What’s the best class you’ve taken at BU?  I think the best class I've taken here so far is Criminal Law with Dr. Neal Slone.  I find the cases and legal issues we learn about really interesting and complex.

What else do you want people to know about you?  I’m going to be graduating in May with a Criminal Justice degree and my next goal in life is to go to law school.  I’ve been active at school participating on the Men’s Club Lacrosse Team and the Human Rights Club.  I enjoy hanging out with my friends on weekends and am an avid dog lover. 

No comments: