Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Spotlight on... Linda Neyer

This is the next installment in a series of blog posts to help you get acquainted with some of the people who work in the library.  Today we introduce you to one of our Reference Librarians, who you probably have seen before.




What is your name? Linda Neyer

What is your title? Science/Health Sciences Librarian & Database Coordinator

What is a typical day like for you? I fall back on the cliche: there is no typical day. It's why I love being a librarian. A big part of my time is spent helping students think about, find, and select the information they need for their research projects and class assignments. I’m the librarian for the departments of audiology/speech language pathology, biology, chemistry, nursing, and physics & engineering technology. Students can find me at the Research Center or in my office in the Library. I also come to the classroom, at the invitation of professors, to instruct students on utilizing research strategies and resources for specific assignments. For these sessions, I usually develop web-based research guides, too. The other ‘hats’ I wear include that of co-webmaster of the Library website (this summer the Library Webteam completely redesigned the Library website) and that of database coordinator for our subscribed electronic library databases.  In that role, I implemented a new ‘discovery layer’ on our website, called 'Search Everything.' Users can simultaneously search our catalog for books, media, gov docs, etc. and almost all of our databases for articles through a single, unified search. We hope the discovery layer will improve the users' experiences finding high quality, scholarly information.

What else should people know about you?    My undergraduate degree was in occupational therapy, and I in fact worked for several years as an OTR in inpatient psychiatry, adolescent chemical dependency, and geriatrics. Even though I completely changed careers, my education was not ‘wasted’ as I use the knowledge and skills I learned as an OT every day.

How can people get in contact with you? email: Lneyer@bloomu.edu,  Office:  AL 222,  Phone: 570-389-4801

No comments: