Monday, April 8, 2013

Spotlight on... Daniel Walz

This is the next installment in a series of blog posts to help you get acquainted with some of the people who work in the library.  Today we introduce you to someone who you might not have seen before.



What is your name?  Daniel Walz   

What is your title?  Acquisitions Assistant

What kinds of things are you responsible for in the library?
* I’m responsible for ordering, receiving, and then “checking in” most of the books, DVDs, and other physical items in the library’s collection.  One of the neat things about my position is that I frequently get to order items that are requested by faculty, students and staff through the online book request form. Check it out at http://bookrequest.bloomu.edu/
 
* I’m responsible for gathering usage statistics for all of the library’s online databases and journals.

* I also help my supervisor, Joyce Counterman, in scheduling and overseeing the work of our student employees.

How did you come to work in the library?   I’m one of the newest staff members here at the library and April 11th will mark my two year anniversary as a BU employee.  Before coming here, I was a Cataloging Librarian’s Assistant at Brodart Co. in Williamsport, PA.

What do you enjoy most about your job?   I’ve always loved reading and learning new things, so it’s a joy to come to work each day in this awesome library surrounded by all of these great resources we have to offer!  I also really enjoy the people I’ve met here at the library.  They’ve made me feel very welcome since I started.

What else do you want people to know about you?  I’m a U.S. Army veteran and an Army-trained Chinese linguist, although I don’t get much time to keep up on my language skills with three daughters at home!  The Army also gave me the opportunity to jump out of perfectly good airplanes, helicopters, and even helium balloons in South Korea a few times!  When the kids aren’t keeping me busy, you’ll find me rooting on the Phillies and Steelers.

How can people get in touch with you?  Email: dwalz@bloomu.edu  Phone: 389-4206  Room: AL 223

No comments: